1. REDUCE TICKET STOCK: We use a lot of ticket stock to print tickets for patrons to pick up at the box office. We have set up, and promote, "electronic ticketing" for all of our shows and patrons are now able to use their phones as tickets, drastically reducing the need to print tickets.
2. STOP PRINTING DAILY REPORTS: We print several copies of box office reports daily that are distributed to several departments and then SIT IN BOXES for years. I have convince most departments to accept PDF versions of said reports in lieu of paper reports.
3. DON'T PRINT TICKET HEADERS: When tickets are needed to be printed, which happens, we found a way to disable the "print header" function and now only the tickets are printed, without the default header, thus reducing in half the amount of paper tickets stock that is used.
4. RECYCLE PAPER: Before these policies where implemented, the box office did not have a recycle bin for paper. Now it does and policy dictates that it is used to recycle paper that we generate, or that customers give to us in the form of post cards, email receipts, or other offers they might have brought with them to pick up their tickets.
5. REPLACE LIGHTING EQUIPMENT:
We applied for, and received, a grant from the city to replace our office and theatrical lighting with efficient, energy saving equipment, which we implemented.
6. SWITCH TO WIND POWER: We switched to New York Green Power which is a third party source of renewable energy used to supply ConEdison, New York City's power company. Wind power consists of 100% regionally wind-generated electricity. It costs an additional 2.5 cents per kWh, but we, as an organization, felt it was important to make the switch and reduce our dependance on fossil fuel.
7. E-MAIL ACKNOWLEDGEMENT LETTERS TO DONERS: In lieu of printing and mailing acknowledgement letters to donors , we are now automatically emailing thank you letters which legally serve as sufficient proof for the IRS of their donation.
8. USE "VIRTUAL BINDERS" FOR GRANT APPLICATIONS AND CORRESPONDENCES: Traditionally we have printed grant applications and all correspondences and saved all our work in binders. We are now saving all of our work and communications with funders as PDFs in "virtual binders" that emulate actual binders, and eliminate the need for paper.
9. JOINED THE BROADWAY GREEN ALLIANCE: BGA is an industry-wide initiative that educates, motivates, and inspires the entire theatre community and its patrons to implement environmentally friendlier practices.
10. ENCOURAGE OTHER BOX OFFICES TO GO PAPERLESS: With over 400 box offices in New York City, there is a lot of wasted paper being generated. If we all move to paperless ticketing and electronic reporting, together we can make a substantial positive impact on our planet.